The ongoing demographic change has made the maintenance of quality of life and wellbeing for older and old people one of the big challenges of our time. Aging research in Jena addresses these challenges on several levels:
Basic researchers in the area of molecular aging research and pharmaceutical companies active in biomedical research work together with physicians to develop and test therapeutics and intervention strategies to treat and prevent age-associated diseases and malfunctions.
Social scientists and humanists analyze the psychological and social consequences of an aging society through individual and societal parameters to positively influence health-related behavior and provisions for old age.
As part of a pilot region for age-appropriate living exemplary urban development solutions including building prototypes tailored to the needs of a post-growth society will be developed.
- Aging Research Center Jena (ARC)
- Jena Centre for Systems Biology of Aging
- Leibniz Research Alliance on Healthy Aging
- Center for Molecular Biomedicine (CMB)
- Project BRAINAGE
- ProExzellenz Initiative "RegenerAging" (German only)
- VW Foundation "Aging as Future"
- Molecular Signatures of Adaptive Stress Responses
- Leibniz Graduate School on Aging and Age-related Diseases