Optics and photonics have defined Jena’s profile as ‘Science City’ for more than one century. Today, the Abbe Center of Photonics (ACP) concatenates all fundamental aspects of photonics in cooperation with the Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology (IPHT) and with the Helmholtz Institute Jena (HIJ). Beside the academic education of young-career scientists, current research thrusts address ACP’s key areas ultra optics, strong field physics and biophotonics. Likewise and together with ACP, the Fraunhofer Institute of Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF) pursues holistic solutions with light to accomplish the important future challenges in the global sectors of energy, mobility, environment, health, communication and information technologies.
The University of Applied Sciences Jena (EAH) focuses on education and research in applied optics and laser technology. By virtue of the strong connections between university, non-academic research institutions and local optics industry, optics and photonics have sustainably shaped the economic structure of the whole Jena region.
- Application Centre for Micro-optical Systems (amos)
- Beutenberg Campus Jena e. V.
- CoOptics GmbH
- OptoNet e.V. Photonics Network of Thuringia
- PhoNa - Photonic Nanomaterials - Jena
- PHOTONICS 4 LIFE
- Technology and Innovation Park Jena
Research and Education
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF)
- Helmholtz Institute Jena
- ifw Jena Guenter Koehler Institute of Joining Technology and Materials Testing GmbH
- INNOVENT e. V.
- Leipniz Institute of Photonic Technologies e.V. (IPHT)
University of Applied Sciences Jena "Ernst Abbe":
Friedrich Schiller University Jena:
- Abbe Center of Photonics (ACP)
- Abbe School of Photonics (ASP)
- Faculty of Physics and Astronomy
- Institute of Applied Optics (IAO)
- Institute of Applied Physics (IAP)
- Institute of Optics and Quantum Electronics (IOQ)